Chicken Tagine to keep you lean
While the list of ingredients seems long it is relatively easy to put together and ingredients easy to find and if you have a reasonable spice drawer you will have most already.
This delight serves 2-3 and freezes well so it can be enjoyed on demand.
- 2 tbls plain flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbls Olive Oil
- 4 or 5 large chicken thighs (skinless and boneless) chopped into large pieces
- 2 x red onions sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or to your own taste) 600mls chicken stock
- 1 x tin chickpeas drained
- The chopped rind of 2 preserved lemons
- 40g pitted green olives
- Put flour, paprika and smoked paprika in a large sandwich bag and give a good shake to bring together then add chopped chicken thighs and coat with the flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and brown the chicken in batches to get a bit of colour. Transfer to a Tagine or casserole dish.
- Add a little oil and fry the red onions for about 5 mins then add the garlic, cumin seeds, coriander, chilli flakes and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes and then transfer to Tagine or casserole. Add a little bit of stock to the pan you have been frying in to deglaze the pan and get the tasty bits from the pan and then pour all the stock in to the Tagine or casserole and put in over at 140 for fan oven 160 if not for 30mins.
- After 30 mins add the chickpeas and cook for a further 50mins. Then add chopped lemon rind and green olives and return to oven for 10 mins.